Internet Traffic Discovery?

Sam Thomas sthomas at lart.net
Wed Jun 6 16:16:50 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 11:40:41AM -0400, Steve Goldstein wrote:

> At 10:54 AM -0400 6/6/01, Craig A. Haney wrote:
> >didn't we all already know this?
> >

> I thought that we "knew" that, according to self-similarity,
> burstiness would be seen at all levels of aggregation.
>
> I wonder if scaling rules apply as the aggregation increases
> (backbones).  That is, at high levels of aggregation, would we have
> to look at smaller time intervals to see the burstiness?  Don't know
> if the Ball Labs folk did that.

also interesting would be experimentation in determining what level of
route oscillation breaks this axiom. is the stability of macroscopic
flows retained for all but macroscopic route oscillation? does it remain
even for macroscopic route oscillation?

thinking further...is it reasonable to believe  that macroscopically
internet routing is static?

--
Sam Thomas
Geek Mercenary