small exchanges (was: Re: PSINet and C&W peering)

John Fraizer nanog at Overkill.EnterZone.Net
Tue Jun 5 21:25:02 UTC 2001

OK.  I'll bite.

On your 5-min aggregate graphs, you show the following numbers:

Max  In: 184.8 Mb/s (6.6%)   Average  In: 41.9 Mb/s (1.5%)   Current In: 44.1 Mb/s (1.6%)
Max  Out: 84.7 Mb/s (3.0%)   Average  Out: 56.5 Mb/s (2.0%)   Current Out: 57.2 Mb/s (2.0%)

How is it that in an exchange fabric, you're showing 13.1Mb/s difference
between what it put into the fabric and what is going out of the fabric
for this poll and 100.1Mb/s over the past 32 hours?  Perhaps I'm missing
something but, it is my understanding that exchange points provide a
fabric for peers to exchange traffic.  By that simple definition, when one
peer sends traffic out it's exchange point interface, it's destined for
another peer on the fabric and the numbers for IN/OUT of the fabric will
be REAL close to identical.  (I understand that with 5-min polling, they
don't always jive perfectly but, I've never seen them be that far out of
whack!)

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc