Rooted boxen and the law

Albert Meyer albert at waller.net
Tue Jun 5 17:42:17 UTC 2001

At 09:54 AM 6/5/01 -0700, Dalvenjah FoxFire wrote:
>You may be able to report the case to the police as well, but unless
>you're heavily interested in pressing charges, chances are it'll just
>be filed and reported up the ladder to the feds anyhow.

Depends on your local police. Here in Austin they are surprisingly
interested in prosecuting computer crime. A few months ago I had a client
who hacked someone's website and left dirty fingerprints all over the
place. In many locales nothing would have ever happened, but the police
made an official request for logs, confiscated his computers, collected
supporting evidence, and charged him with some sort of crime. I didn't
follow up to see what the disposition was, but I suspect that he at least
paid a hefty fine. In other areas I've seen the police completely clueless.