PSINet and C&W peering

Christian Nielsen cnielsen at nielsen.net
Tue Jun 5 17:26:29 UTC 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

> and whoever these multi-hundred Mb/s peers are, I can also understand
> why C&W might have gotten a bit miffed.  That's a couple of hundred
> megabytes of flow that they can no longer bill to those customers.
> I'd ALWAYS rather have my customers use our network for transit than
> have them peer directly with my peers and bypass the toll booth.
> That said, if this was their reasoning for terminating the peering
> agreement, I don't agree with them at all.  I'd be upset about it if I
> were them but, I wouldn't be stupid about the situation.

Here are some points to think about:

1) Some peers dont upgrade peering links quick enough.

If this is the case, companies go after the largest src/dest for IP.

2) Some IP providers charge for IP

If this is the case, companies go after the largest src/dest to reduce the
amount they might have to pay.

3) Some IP providers wont peer.

If this is the case, companies go after the largest src/dest first

4) and lastly, some companies have very open peering policys

And if this is the case... those companies get asked to peer all the time.

Personally, it would make much easier to peer with fewer larger players
than many little players.

but heh, this is the internet right???

BTW, to solve these types of problems, Smaller companies need to ban
together and start peering with each other in the local metro area.

Christian