PSINet and C&W peering

Joseph T. Klein jtk at titania.net
Tue Jun 5 16:24:01 UTC 2001

If exchange of IP traffic is ruled to be commerce then peering
policies would be regulated under the Sherman antitrust act.

It shall be unlawful for any person engaged in commerce, in the
course of such commerce, to be a party to, or assist in, any
transaction of sale, or contract to sell, which discriminates to his
knowledge against competitors of the purchaser, in that, any
discount, rebate, allowance, or advertising service charge is granted
to the purchaser over and above any discount, rebate, allowance, or
advertising service charge available at the time of such transaction
to said competitors in respect of a sale of goods of like grade,
quality, and quantity; to sell, or contract to sell, goods in any
part of the United States at prices lower than those exacted by said
person elsewhere in the United States for the purpose of destroying
competition, or eliminating a competitor in such part of the United
States; or, to sell, or contract to sell, goods at unreasonably low
prices for the purpose of destroying competition or eliminating a
competitor.

... if IP traffic exchange is interstate commerce ...

--
Joseph T. Klein                                         +1 414 915 7489
Senior Network Engineer                                 jtk at titania.net
Adelphia Business Solutions                joseph.klein at adelphiacom.com

     "... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..."
                                                  -- John W. Stewart III