engineering --> ddos and flooding

Matt Zito mzito at register.com
Mon Jun 4 19:24:26 UTC 2001

Well, what I said is inaccurate for SOME operating systems.  A default linux
box today still has a 128-syn queue.  Unless you enable syn cookies, you're
screwed - I haven't checked BSD or Solaris for slow-syn behavior recently.
Syn cookies also aren't a magic bullet - you lose TCP options that some
people really want/need.  And rate-limiting SYN is still a bad idea - if you
rate-limit to a certain bandwidth, either your server will not be able to
handle the incoming syns and will stop responding, or legitimate incoming
traffic will hit the floor because the queue on the router is full (or
approaching full and RED is invoked) and legitimate incoming requests will
be dropped.  This might be okay for places where one server performs many
functions - i.e. the box is still available on other ports, but in larger
infrastructures, a box generally has one purpose, and if its purposed port
is down, the box might as well be turned off.

So, I prefer solutions that negotiate the connection before passing it back
to the host - like (insert basically any firewall product here).  Some do it
better than others, of course - the netscreen 100, 500, and 1000  seem much
better than anything else the field has to offer.

Thanks,
Matt