Measuring traffic (WAS: 95th Percentile = Lame)

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Sun Jun 3 20:56:23 UTC 2001

  Related to the problem of billing for traffic, I have a problem trying
to account for certain traffic. We're using a Cisco 72xx with 12.1 and I
have some customers for whom I've setup traffic shaping, based on access
lists, at the border to control their aggrigate bandwidth to the rest of
the network without limiting their intranet traffic. We need to be able to
report the shaping activity to them so they know how it's affecting their
traffic. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to monitor traffic
shaping stats via snmp. Noticing an update note about snmp and class based
traffic shaping with access lists, I tried to set it up that way but for
some reason can't use the "shape" command as in the example below ("shape
..." isn't an available command at that point).

Router(config)# policy-map dts-interface-class-action
Router(config-pmap)# class class1
Router(config-pmap-c)# shape average 16000000

  Anyone have a clue on either issue or if it's possible to use snmp to
monitor traffic that passes certain access lists?
  Sorry if this is getting a bit off for this list.

Chuck