95th Percentile again (was RE: C&W Peering Problem?)

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Sun Jun 3 17:34:08 UTC 2001

> i'm not super-duper, but i'm tier2 and the bulk of my business is wholesale
> (the basic service is a connection and transit, nothing else).
>
> most of my customers are ethernet connected, and some customers share
> an interface.  i got into this before it was cheap to do 802.11q
> switching, so my billing system needed to deal with multiple customers
> on a single ethernet.

Thats irrelevant; look at the counters on the customers switch-port.
Doesn't matter what VLAN (or none) they are on.

> however, the rollover issues were starting to become apparent.
> fortuneately with the BSD and cache flow stuff, i get 64bit counters.

As does any modern-day IOS (except for some reason, 64 bit counters seem
broken on Cat 3500 XLs; anyone else seen this?)

> its working for me.

Is it? Have you verified that, in actuality, it is accurate?

Having done a small-bit of verification on flowstats versus counting bytes
via SNMP, i have caught some interesting anamolies.