95th Percentile again (was RE: C&W Peering Problem?)

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Sun Jun 3 13:56:51 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 12:40:44AM -0400, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
> > i gave up on per-customer interface accounting, didn't scale for me.
>
> Thats a very bold statement. A what point (what metric?) did you feel that
> this method didn't scale?

i'm not super-duper, but i'm tier2 and the bulk of my business is wholesale
(the basic service is a connection and transit, nothing else).

most of my customers are ethernet connected, and some customers share
an interface.  i got into this before it was cheap to do 802.11q
switching, so my billing system needed to deal with multiple customers
on a single ethernet.

> NAC is no super-duper tier-1 (I had to throw that in), but we do monitor
> >1400 interfaces every 5 minutes, 100 or so at more than 105 mb/s

i don't have near that many interfaces.

however, the rollover issues were starting to become apparent.
fortuneately with the BSD and cache flow stuff, i get 64bit counters.

> > we've since moved to cisco, and, well, now i have cache flow stats which
> > are parsed into customer subnets.
>
> Eeek. Relying on flow-stats? Yikes.

its working for me.

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim at reptiles.org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]