mac-address accounting

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Fri Jun 1 12:46:32 UTC 2001

> core1.nyc#sho int g0/0/0 mac-accounting
> GigabitEthernet0/0/0 to external peers and customers
>   Output  (475 free)
[...]
>     0100.0c00.0000(13 ):  57198 packets, 37155973 bytes, last: 388ms ago
[...]
> core1.nyc#sho arp | inc 0100
> core1.nyc#

01:00:0c is Cisco's Ethernet multicast address prefix.
01:00:0c:00:00:00 looks strange to me.

The cisco-nsp mailing list had a query about this problem:

http://puck.nether.net/lists/cisco-nsp/0318.html

But I don't know whether this has been resolved.  If I try outbound
MAC accounting (usually I only use inbound MAC accounting at exchange
points) on a 7206VXR running 12.0(17)S, everything looks fine.

> All the others are valid, yet they are way, and I mean *way* under
> the amounts that I know I am sending to that peer.

(Maybe your Cisco multicasts all traffic out to the exchange point
rather than send it to the correct peer - seems much more robust to
me, although you might end up with heavy packet replication :-)
Simon Leinen				       simon at babar.switch.ch
SWITCH				   http://www.switch.ch/misc/leinen/

	       Computers hate being anthropomorphized.