telnet vs ssh on Core equipment , looking for reasons why ?

mike harrison meuon at highertech.net
Tue Jul 31 23:57:45 UTC 2001

> in pressurized conduit - I fully believe some paranoid TLA's use 400PSI
> and a pressure-drop alarm as a deterrent.  I keep hearing rumors that
> involve 400PSI nerve gas, and I'm not sure if anybody is THAT paranoid. ;)

It does not take 400 PSI, it just takes a couple more than atmospheric,
and the really nasty sensors are not looking just for breaks, but for
any pressure differential, such as caused by bending, moving, etc...
buts thats mostly for fiber in 'secure' installations.

> *without* me seeing a "host key has changed" message decides to attack me,
> there isn't much I'll be able to do to stop him anyhow.

Yep, whether it's a local or wide area connection that means they have
physical access and if they have that, you can only hope the don't break
things. It's happened twice at my place. Once to prove that we could,
the second by a colo customer that after we verified things, retrieved his
server from our dumpster. One of the problems with ethernet switches
is it is easy to dup IP's as well as play with ARP, and not have immediate
conflicts, the switch will send the packets to what it sees.