telnet vs ssh on Core equipment , looking for reasons why ?

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Tue Jul 31 21:03:55 UTC 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Kevin Steves wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> :6) Finding a unix ssh that supports 3DES and DES.
> :
> :I curse those OpenSSH folks for making me have to trudge through the code
> :to find out how to get DES working...
>
> DES is supported in openssh for protocol 1 in the client with ssh -c des.

Ooops.  The FreeBSD port I built from is trailing a bit:

spork at tiny[~]$ ssh -V
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.

And:

spork at tiny[~]$ ssh -c des 216.223.x.x
Unknown cipher type 'des'

However it appears newer versions include it, but warn you:

oscar[/var/spool/tftp/ios]# ssh -c des -l foo 216.223.x.x
Warning: use of DES is strongly discouraged due to cryptographic weaknesses
foo at 216.223.x.x's password:

Sorry for the noise,

Charles