telnet vs ssh on Core equipment , looking for reasons why ?

alex at yuriev.com alex at yuriev.com
Tue Jul 31 20:56:23 UTC 2001

> > > 2) Your vendor's ssh authentication creates a secure connection, and
> > >    transfers the password securely, only to then send the password,
> > >    unencrypted, to an authentication server for verification, making
> > >    ssh moot.
> >
> > Establish reasonable path for trust propagation and you have solved the
> > problem.
>
> Except, of course, if I had a reasonable path for trust propigation,
> I would have a trusted path for telnet logins. ;-)
>
> Any compromise on a clear-text telnet password is going to be viable
> against any other clear-text password transmission.  Even restricting
> logins to certain host ranges only pushes security to those networks.
> If you're going to sniff my backbone passwords, the networks that are
> wrapped in are presumably compromised already.

Not correct. You can always put your authentication server into the trusted
zone. The question is how to transfer information to the authentication
servers from the equipment security. It is a very different proposition from
being able to establish trusted path to the servers from everywhere, which
is what you want for secure telnet.

Alex