Hard data on network impact of the "Code Red" worm?

Vijay Gill vgill at vijaygill.com
Tue Jul 31 06:46:54 UTC 2001

--On Tuesday, July 31, 2001 08:40 +0200 Hank Nussbacher <hank at att.net.il>
wrote:

> In this case, IMO, the hype was warranted.  If not for the 2 code errors
> in  Code Red, this worm, using 300K zombies at 50Mb/sec each would have
> hit the  Internet with about 15Tb/sec of aggregate traffic.  The next
> time, we all  won't be so lucky.

So we get hit with another few Tb/sec attack. So what. Right now, traffic
shouldn't
even appear on the radar for most NSPs insofar as things to worry about. In
fact, I'd go so far to say that too much traffic is a problem most NSPs are
"dying" to have, if I may be permitted a small bon-mot. Big NSPs got the
big routers and the big pipes. The problem that most people really need to
worry about are things that target the routers themselves. Those tend to
fall over at the slightest provocation.

> It won't happen this time, but the next time, we may not be so lucky.

As Chuck D would say

Troubles, not me, I don't mean to cause
But you took one look and began to pause
Didn't holler at the dollar we willin' to spend
But you took one look and wouldn't let our ass in

/vijay