The large ISPs and Peering

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Fri Jul 27 22:25:09 UTC 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> There is a fundamental business here in that ISP's are _required_ to
> do business with each other in order to make the Internet work as users
> expect.  ISP's will always have business ties to each other, in the
> form of paid/free transit/peering.  Making that go away makes it all
> cease to work, completely.

I have to point out an interesting similarity between Big Oil and Big
Telecomm.

The Oil and ISP industries are the only two major industries I know of
where your biggest competitors are quite often also your biggest
customers.

In the oil industry, you see it all the time with the company-owned retail
stores versus the dealers - but who do the dealers buy from? Right.

It makes for some rather interesting business relationships, IMHO.

--
JustThe.net LLC - Steve "Web Dude" Sobol, CTO - sjsobol at JustThe.net

Donate a portion of your monthly ISP bill to your favorite charity or
non-profit organization! E-mail me for details.