'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent to which luck..'

Christopher A. Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Thu Jul 26 03:43:33 UTC 2001

Extermely easy solution - block telnet to your routers at your edge,
except from bastion hosts that are logically as close to your
routers as possible (say, one per POP). ssh into the bastion host, then
telnet to the Criscos from there.

This is extermely easy to implement assuming you dedicate network blocks
to network equipment in each of your sites.

Speaking of, out of curiosity (this is from a DSL line downstream from
above.net)...

rekoil at electro:~$ telnet iad1-core1.atlas.icix.net
Trying 165.117.1.121...
Connected to iad1-core1-l0.atlas.icix.net.
Escape character is '^]'.

Intermedia Business Internet     (iad1-core1.atlas.digex.net)
Unauthorized Access is Prohibited

Three routers of various powers for the internal works
Seven for customers in nearby towns
Nine for frame relay customers and all their quirks
One for the Mae-East deep underground
In the land of Datanet where the fiber lies.
One router to route them all, One router to find them,
One router to peer with them all and with BGP bind them
In the land of MFS Datanet where the fiber lies.

User Access Verification

Password:
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

Any other "major" ISPs still allowing telnet access to their cores from
untrusted hosts?

-C

--
Christopher A. Woodfield		rekoil at semihuman.com