product liability (was 'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent to which luck..')

Joseph T. Klein jtk at titania.net
Wed Jul 25 21:48:47 UTC 2001

Since software, in theory, can't cause physical danger, I suspect
the shrink wrap license makes Microsoft immune to any liability.

If they advertise false claims then they could punishable under some
states consumer protection laws. Look for the disclaimers.

Now if you claim that you are forced to agree to the shrink wrap
licence because of they are a monopoly and you are forced to use
the product ... an iffy argument ... then you may have a something.

BTW - It looks like Windows 2000 is subject to the BSD telnetd
exploit.

--
Joseph T. Klein                                         +1 414 915 7489
Senior Network Engineer                                 jtk at titania.net
Adelphia Business Solutions                joseph.klein at adelphiacom.com

     "... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..."
                                                  -- John W. Stewart III