product liability (was 'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent to which luck..')

Michael Airhart mairhart at cisco.com
Wed Jul 25 20:41:29 UTC 2001

>On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 LBolton at geiger.com wrote:
> > Your analogy is flawed.
> > The question is, should Firestone be responsible for someone going around
> > slashing the tires?  No they shouldn't.
> > Then why should Microsoft or any other software manufacturer be responsible
> > for the damage done by third parties?
>
>Better analogy:
>
>Microsoft is advertising "high security padlocks", but is instead selling
>locks that dont work at all.

The analogy is further flawed in that the comparison is between problems in
the real world that can cause real injury or death to real people versus a
piece of software that operates in a virtual world... even if it is a real
pain in the butt.  Remember, if this stuff was easy and simple, we'd be a
commodity....

[I speak ONLY for myself !]

/back to my rock/

Michael