product liability (was 'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent to which luck..')

LBolton at geiger.com LBolton at geiger.com
Wed Jul 25 13:17:26 UTC 2001

Your analogy is flawed.

The question is, should Firestone be responsible for someone going around
slashing the tires?  No they shouldn't.

Then why should Microsoft or any other software manufacturer be responsible
for the damage done by third parties?

You could make the argument that Microsoft should have designed more
security into their products to prevent security breaches of this nature,
but you could also argue that Firestone should make their tires out of
kevlar to prevent people from slashing them.

We shouldn't hold the software manufacturers responsible, unless they
willingly and knowingly left the security flaw in place.  We should hold
the programmers that release malicious code responsible.

                    William Allen
                    Simpson                 To:     nanog at nanog.org
                    <wsimpson at greend        cc:     caida at caida.org
                    ragon.com>              Subject:     product liability (was 'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent  to which
                    Sent by:                luck..')
                    owner-nanog at meri
                    t.edu

                    07/25/01 02:42
                    AM

Perhaps a different approach is in order -- product liability.

When Firestone made a large number of bad tires, they compensated the
purchasers by PAYING for replacement, including those that had not yet
been injured.  That included the upgrade, and the installation cost.

Network operators have been injured by the distribution of buggy software
from M$.  We need to be compensated for our time and expenses.

End users need to be compensated for their costs to upgrade.

A check in the mail would be a better incentive to administrators than
"automatic" updates.

--
William Allen Simpson