The large ISPs and Peering

Daniel Golding dan at netrail.net
Wed Jul 25 16:38:22 UTC 2001

Let's break this one down.

The large ISPs have finally started to work together, to potentially exclude
smaller providers. That isn't good.

Certain colo facilities are being choosen. Others are not. This has a major
business impact on the ones who aren't choosen.

Why is any of this bad? Because when X providers who control a large part of
the market start to work together, you get a Cartel. This type of joint
decision-making is always bad for the smaller player in the field, as the
self-interest of the larger players is to preserve their own market share.

Cartels are bad for business, as they make the industry less competitive.
Thats bad for everyone.

As for your remarks about these providers and their "huge" routers, and the
bigness of these colos... What does that have to do with this issue? The
vast majority of space would be taken up with DWDM or SONET gear in any
case.

A "one-stop shop" looks good to the consumer, at least at first. What
happens when the prices start to synchronize? This type of approach takes a
great deal of flexibility out of the IP transit sales process. The big will
get bigger, and the consumer will eventually suffer.

Earthlink is a huge consumer of transit bandwidth, so it would seem to be in
your shareholder's best interest to keep competition high, and thus keep
prices low.

- Daniel Golding