'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent to which luck ..'

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jul 25 15:59:34 UTC 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:42:21 PDT, Roeland Meyer said:

> Do you always let your stereotyping lead you by the nose like this ...? Home
> users ... maybe. Small businesses ... not.

Do you have any evidence that "small businesses" are any more clued than
home users?

The gym I have a membership at has a PC at the front desk that has Internet
connectivity (hey, connectivity is *cheap* when you're in a research park ;)
I'm willing to bet that most of the people who work there are *NOT* clued
users or sysadmins.

The music store I frequent for guitar gear has a PC - the store owner admits
that he's a great guitarist, a "not in chapter 11" businessman, and totally
clueless about computers - this guy who plays bass fixes it for him when it's
totally dead in the water (fortunately for the store, I happen to know the
bass player, and that guy *does* have some clue - but I'm positive that
nobody told the guys at the store about SirCam, or CodeRed, or anything like
that).

When David Moore said 'Small Business', he meant *SMALL* business.  How many
5-and-10 employee stores out there *DONT* have on-staff sysadmins, but *DO*
have PC's that enployees surf the web when business is slow?

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst