Update: CSX train derailment

Jamie Bowden jamie at photon.com
Sun Jul 22 00:37:04 UTC 2001

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 up at 3.am wrote:

> > On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Roeland Meyer wrote:

> > :Have you checked available rights of way lately? They haven't changed much
> > :for quite a while. Telecom has not really any ability to build dedicated
> > :bridges for telcom fibre. It uses existing facilities wherever possible.
> > :Following the paths of least cost/resistance, this pretty much determines
> > :that rivers and bridges become choke-points. The only real alternatives are
> > :microwave towers (a cost/benefit argument I won't touch, even with your
> > :ten-foot pole).

> I would think that if fiber can be run across oceans without using tunnels
> or bridges, that it could be run across some rivers much the same way, no?

Hey, genius, I got a question for you.  How were planning to get to that
[river|stream|lake|etc]shore?  The rights of way lead to existing bridges
and tunnels.  Buying a contiguous right of way in America is exorbitantly
expensive, if it's even possible, which I highly doubt.  If you're already
at a bridge, tunnel, whatever, (because hey, that's where the existing
right of way you're using takes you) why wouldn't you use it?

Your .sig lists you as CEO, yet you seem to lack the basic knowledge that
corporate officers are beholden to their shareholders, doing what's cheap
right now vs. what makes sense over time.  The forces driving major
telcos are many, and long range planning at the expense of today's stock
price is not one of them.

Others have brought up the issues with cabling across an active river
trade route, so I'll not rehash them.

Jamie Bowden
--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"