filtering whitehouse.gov?

Andreas Plesner Jacobsen - Tiscali apjacobsen at dk.tiscali.com
Sat Jul 21 23:08:46 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 03:43:48PM -0700, Jon O . wrote:

> > A couple of days ago I mentioned here that I have nullrouted the IP which
> > whitehouse.gov resolves to. After that I received some mail in private
> > mentioning not only the fact that I filtered the wrong IP (that's fixt
> > now) but also the dangers of posting about such a thing here. "Hey, he
> > nullroutes them, let's do it too!".
> >
> I understand your need to do something like this, but you are
> essentially causing the worm to fulfill it's goal and
> censoring your customers. I worried that many people would do this.

No, since it is known that the provider hosting www1 and
www2.whitehouse.gov has already blackholed www1, and www.whitehouse.gov
only resolves to www2 now.
And then there's the big difference between operational stability and
poltical stability, of which operational is the primary concern to me at
least.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Sincerely
  Andreas Plesner Jacobsen (Network Engineer) / Tiscali A/S (World Online)