X-10 and like behaviour.

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Jul 19 18:09:56 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:02:01PM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> David Shaw wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:02:18AM -0400, Greg Maxwell wrote:
> > > Just turn off javascript and you will find browsing nirvana.
> >
> > That was my original solution, but alas, these days enough sites use
> > javascript for basic functionality that turning it off renders a good
> > portion of the web unusable.
> >
> I've never seen the pop-ups.  I browse without javascript or images.
> I'm only interested in content.
>
> The mistake in your message is "good" portion of the web.  For those of
> us interested in content, we find nothing missing.

I think we can safely let each person choose for themselves what part
of the web they find useful, and what security precautions they are
taking.  Your needs and precautions are likely not mine.

Turning off javascript, just like carefully written mailbox filters
against spam, does indeed address the symptom but doesn't solve the
problem.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/