X-10 and like behaviour.

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Thu Jul 19 15:19:18 UTC 2001

At 08:26 AM 7/19/01, Frank Thomas wrote:

> > > Its probably not a big deal, and if selling bits on the wire makes money
> > > "the more the merrier" might be a catch-cry but I wondered if there was
> > > a NANOG dimension to these bloody irritating X-10 popups that curse me
> > > more and more.
> > >
> > > Is there some well understood non-edge solution to this kind of crap
> > > or do we all wind up rolling our own?
> >
> >       Reminds me a lot of the early days of fighting spam...though
> >       a ban on popups has already been mentioned in the US Congress.
> >

>Yep, they even have an opt out page.  Although I found this from
>another source and no obvious way to this from the frontend of their site.
>For what its worth the 'popunders' from x10 are cookie based.  The url
>below will opt you out for 10years (leap years figured also).  The week
>or so after they started these annoying things I noticed that x10 was one
>of the highest traffic sites (I may be wrong) of the week...  I will NEVER
>buy anything from them...
>
>http://www.x10.com/home/optout.cgi?DAY=3652GE=http://www.x10.com/x10ads1.htm

There's an ampersand missing between 3652 and GE in the above. Adding that
made it work. For those who prefer less typing, I've added the corrected
URL as a link on http://www.noads.org/.

Unlike the link on the X10 page, this will set the cookie for, as Frank
noted, 10 years. I expect in time they'll add additional advertisements,
and use different cookies. I'll put new ones on the noads.org page as I
learn of them.
Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com