PPPOE, MTU, and boom.

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Wed Jul 18 15:55:58 UTC 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> While I agree, It's 10498% easier when you have a cluless DSL customer on
> the horn, and you want to change thier MTU, if you use this app rather
> than trying to explain to them what a registry even is.

Not being a real windows know-it-all, this is a guess, but I had to diddle
with registry settings yesterday to get Outlook to stop crashing on
startup.

Short version is that you can export a "piece" of the registry as a .reg
file.  It seems you could go to the section where MTU is set and export
it, and then simply put a link to the file on your support site.  Have the
user clicky-click on the link and answer "yes" to everything, and wham-o.

A similar example is here:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks?item=RWIN

A bit off-track, but can anyone using Redback stuff give a quick yes/no to
this:

Can the Redback, on a 1483-bridged customer where the pvc is known do dhcp
based on the pvc the dhcp request comes from?  What other trickery does it
do if you are dead-set against PPPoE but still need some authentication
and enforcement of addresses?

Alex - Does VZ do one pvc/customer or group hundreds together on one pvc
still?

Charles