DDoS attacks

Brad brad at americanisp.net
Fri Jul 13 01:07:33 UTC 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Brad wrote:
> > Sorry- but after doing all of that, DDoS attacks still
> > saturate even the largest circuits- thus denying the
> > service.
>
> It is not perfect, but it does help.
>
> Of course there are those who take the approach "it is not a perfect
> solution so we will not bother filtering anything at all".

Well- I have a little experience with this, and from that
experience I have noticed that DDoS attacks can often
saturate the circuits to the point of BGP failure.  Of
course- null-routing the target address does help with the
CPU overhead a little.. However the service is effectivly
shut off by that point anyway.

> -Dan

---
Brad Baker