DDoS attacks

up at 3.am up at 3.am
Thu Jul 12 20:07:22 UTC 2001

That's obviously a big issue, but not unaddressable...most countries have
laws against this sort of thing.  At some point, somebody's going to deal
with an unresponsive government by blackholing entire regions...certain
APNIC blocks come to mind.  Any network where DDoS perpetrators can
operate with impunity will eventually be considered too dangerous to NOT
blackhole.

We haven't arrived at that point yet because A) DDoS attacks haven't
gotten so out of hand that it's stopping big businesses in their tracks
continuously (but it may, soon) and B) At this point, NONE of the
governments (including the US) are sufficiently responsive to the point
where any particular region could be blackholed (but this will change as
point A changes) to any effect.

up at 3.am							    http://3.am