DDoS attacks

Mitch Halmu mitch at netside.net
Thu Jul 12 17:05:54 UTC 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Brad wrote:

> However, the problem here is not-so easy to
> take care of on the provider(s) end.  I tend to see this
> problem more-like open-relay issues.  A open-relay SMTP
> server is just-as much a pain in the rear as a compromised
> windoze box (if not more) and we have several ways to combat
> open-relay issues currently through various testing and
> filtering systems.

No kidding? Your somewhat twisted "re-education" approach finds
it perfectly normal to liken an illegal hacker activity (DDoS)
with a perfectly legitimate business operation of an ISP, for
the "crime" of simply having an open relay SMTP server.

Well, I happen to think that communications blackholing enterprises
such as the one run by former Abovenet boss Dave Rand and Metromedia
employee Paul Vixie are to be likened to denial of service attacks.

There should be no question that the guilty party is the actual
hacker or spammer. If the legal system doesn't provide ISPs adequate
protection under current laws, then new ad-hoc laws should address
the problem.

--Mitch
NetSide

http://www.dotcomeon.com