DDoS attacks

John Fraizer nanog at Overkill.EnterZone.Net
Thu Jul 12 05:18:53 UTC 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Jon O . wrote:

> Just to make sure I understand this:
>
> From:
> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/personal/index.html
>
> I can be contacted by email, on IRC (EFNet) as "humble", or any of those other services which won't be named, usually
>  as "humble226".
>
> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/personal/index.html
>
> Very odd that you use the service yet bash it so much...
>

> On 12-Jul-2001, Richard A. Steenbergen wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Jon O . wrote:
> >
> > > However, I'm concluding from the type of behavior displayed that most
> > > of you manage nothing larger than a couple T-1s.
> >
> > I'd like to apologise to the list for mentioning EFNet and inviting this
> > group of people with excessively large mouth to brain ratios to post and
> > further legitimize the noise.
> >
> > --
> > Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
> > PGP Key ID: 0x138EA177  (67 29 D7 BC E8 18 3E DA  B2 46 B3 D8 14 36 FE B6)

Enough people.  It is quite obvious that IRC is a religious topic to a LOT
of people.  My original response and Richards original email were intended
as sarcasm.  It is not at all uncommon for IRC networks to be under
attack.  Since some people take IRC *MUCH* more seriously than one can
imagine (keep the death threats coming) I guess we can't be sarcastic when
someone mentions IRC.

The email that is quoted above from Richard is obviously an apology for
getting involved in the discussion.  I can't imaging why you would attack
him for such.  I apologise for getting into the discussion.  Attack me for
doing so if you must.  Do it off list.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc