DDoS attacks

Rob Thomas robt at cymru.com
Thu Jul 12 03:24:22 UTC 2001

] I happen to agree, if only because; when script kiddies don't have IRC to
] play with they'll start looking elsewhere. I'd rather them have an IRC net
] to play with while they're being hunted. Wouldn't you?

Agreed.  Keep in mind that when the kiddies really want to test something
nasty, they simply build their own (hidden and secured) IRC servers in
which to park the zombies.  So a paucity of IRC servers/networks isn't an
issue to them.

Eradicating IRC isn't the solution.  IRC is the "SOSUS net" of DDoS.  It
would be wise if everyone paid close attention to what is discovered
therein.

Just my $.02.

--
Rob Thomas