crsnic whois updates

Mike Batchelor mikebat at tmcs.net
Fri Jul 6 17:43:30 UTC 2001

> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:45:09PM -0700, Joseph McDonald wrote:
> >

> > BT> NetSol obviously doesn't give a damn about whether or not
> whois is up to
> > BT> date. They don't have to. Their lucrative monopoly was
> recently extended
> > BT> for many more years.
> >
> > What's sad is that it would be fairly trivial for them to implement a
> > real-time whois update.  I don't know why they don't just do it.
>
> Apparently NSOL thinks they are "special"..  Even though my
> nameservers are
> registered with OpenSRS, NSOL thinks that I need to spend time (weeks,
> sometimes), sending them an updated "host" form every time I change an IP
> address.

That's fascinating.  They refused my host template altogether because my
nameserver names are under a domain held at Register.com.  I had to go
through Register.com to change my NS IP addresses.  Crsnic whois shows the
correct IP address, and Register.com as the registrar.  Register.com whois
shows the correct IP address (most of the time ;).  Only domain records at
whois.networksolutions.com show the wrong IP address always.

Strange thing is, NSOL accepted a host template registering a new host with
name under a ccTLD domain, and NEVER sent confirmation to the contact for
that domain (which is myself), like they do for host records with names
under
com/net/org.

There's just no rhyme or reason to how things work over there in Herndon
anymore.

> Luckily, the root servers reflect the correct nameserver IP
> addresses, even
> though NSOL's whois doesn't.  But this still doesn't keep my
> customers from
> asking me why WHOIS doesn't show the correct nameserver information, and
> worrying that people won't be able to get to their website or
> send them mail.
>
> Of course, my answer to them is always "use a different registrar".
> Hopefully, eventually, enough people will leave NSOL that they'll start
> "caring".

Yep, I get this all the time, too.  It's just one more "mantra" I have
learned to repeat in my sleep.