Broadband v. baseband ... again?

Richard A. Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jul 5 18:15:11 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:00:52AM -0700, Tom Lettington wrote:

> At the risk of incurring the wrath of Mr. Meyer by posting without
> permission,

What about at the risk of looking like a gigantic idiot in front of a
whole 'lot of people?

> I offer the following: Harry Newton, of "Newton's TELECOM
> Dictionary - The Official Dictionary of Telecommunications & the
> Interent" (Updated 15th Expanded Edition), defines "Broadband" (in the
> WAN context) as anything over 45Mbps (T3).

>From the Offical Dumbfuck's Guide to Not Posting Stupid Shit to Nanog
(Updated and Expanded 69th Edition):

  cluebie
       noun 1: A person so stupid their right to live should seriously
               be questioned before they have a chance to breed.

       see: People who make up definitions.

> The language we use in our industry is evolving at an extremely rapid
> rate.  The great unwashed masses don't necessarily stick with the time
> honored definitions we would prefer that they admire, respect, and
> accept as gospel.  Get over it!

Hrm any other definitions we can make up? We've already redefined Tier 1
to mean anyone who thinks their network is good enough to call it that.
Lets change broadband and baseband too, it's too difficult to explain it
to people.