Getting an AS and /18

David R Huberman huberman at gblx.net
Tue Jul 3 02:33:41 UTC 2001

Please understand that the rules are different for cable providers.
They are required to SWIP only to their head-ends, but it must be
SWIP, not RWHOIS. This is typically a small number of SWIPs, as
you SWIP out to geographically-central head-ends.

/david

> Andy,
> I just went through all this myself.  I'm not a cable modem provider, so
> the rules may be slightly different.
>
> In the beginning, I had SWIP'd records.  However, as most net admins, I
> had fallen way behind on this.  Here's what I did to rectify my problem:
>
> a) Created a spreadsheet listing parent CIDR delgations from our
> upstream.  Broke those out into subnets that we delegate to customers,
> ping scan them periodically, and get a max utilization.  Sum your total
> current space and max usage, get a percentage.  So long as the company
> holds 1 ip over a /19, they are eligible for a /18 AFAIK.
>
> b) Apply for an ASN at this point.  Tell ARIN you are going to be
> multihoming, and can provide signed contracts with ISP's proving this.
> Without multihoming, you don't need an ASN -- your upstream should be
> more than happy to announce your address space for you later on.
>
> c) Take all that spreadsheet data, and throw it into an rwhois server.
> For a /20 worth of addresses, this took me the better part of 3-4 days
> of data entry. I would expect it would take one person 12-16 days for a
> /18 worth of addresses.  Need it faster?  Throw more people at data
> entry.
>
> d) Get your rwhoisd server up and running.  By this time, you should
> have your ASN number (took us about 1 week).  Fill out the IPv4 request
> template.  Send it in.  After a day or two, they'll email you back
> asking you a few things about your policies on how you decide how many
> IP's a customer gets.  I think that they just want to hear the policies
> that they have on their website (i.e. target 80% utilization within 3
> months).  1 week later you should have an allocation.
>
> e) Start migrating stuff over.  When you make delegations in your new
> /18, put them in your rwhois server.  You'll need it when you go back to
> ask for more address space in a year, and why go through all this stress
> more than once.
>
> If they give you grief about a /18, ask for a /19 and ask them to
> "reserve" the other /19 space within a /18.  Prove to them that you are
> effectively utilizing the /19 and they'll probably give/sell you the
> other half.
>
> Someone else here mentioned that the folks at ARIN are truly helpful --
> They are.  I emailed them a few times asking for clarification on some
> of the forms, and I had answers within the hour.
>
> My $0.02, and I just turned up my ASN and my netblock today!
>
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 05:50:55PM -0700, Andy Ellifson wrote:
> >
> > Bob said it better than myself.  I just want help compling with ARIN's
> > rules and justifications to get some address space for this customer.
> > When the documentation comes back wanting signed contracts, receipts
> > for the equipment, SWIP information......... and so on... It seems like
> > a daunting task.
> >
> > I nor the customer have never been through this before.  I just wanted
> [...]

| Global Crossing IP Engineering |
| Manager, Global IP Addressing  |
|   TEL: (908) 720-6182          |
|   FAX: (703) 464-0802          |