Getting an AS and /18

David R Huberman huberman at gblx.net
Mon Jul 2 22:55:43 UTC 2001

> I have a customer that is a cable modem provider.  They submitted the
> form to request an AS and some address space.  The response from ARIN
> wanted a ton of documentation.  I understand why ARIN requires all of
> the documentation.  Does ARIN require a ton of SWIPS be present for the
> customer before they will issue address space?  This customer genuinely
> needs the address space but doesn't have the time to gather up all the
> information that is 'required'.  Does anyone know of a person they can
> talk to at ARIN to help with this process?

You're seriously arguing that the customer should get special
consideration because they don't have time to put together and present the
required documentation necessary for ARIN to determine that an allocation
is justified?

Talk about chutzpah...

Re: SWIPs. Your question was a bit vague, but if you're asking if the
address space your customer is currently using needs to be SWIPed to
them (or demonstrated in some sort of public WHOIS database), yes. If
you're referring to something else, you'll have to be more detailed in
your question.

/david