ISP contracts and government intervention

Daniel Golding dan at netrail.net
Mon Jul 2 05:16:21 UTC 2001

Ethan,

"blackhat" seems a strong term for an ISP that wishes to operate without
government interference. There are many ISPs that are not US based, and many
ISPs that would provide service to anyone with cash, as long as a court
order does not exist to prevent or stop suck service. The only "credentials"
someone needs is a positive return on a Dun and Bradstreet credit report.
Paying in advance tends to get around even that.

Check out HavenCo, and it's purpose. I think it may be the sort of thing you
are looking for, although I would certainly never call it a "blackhat"
operation, as it is completely above board, just not interested in
government (over)regulation.

("hats" are for hackers. I don't think you'll find many folks who wear such
figurative headgear on NANOG)

- Daniel Golding