Exodus Down

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Sun Jul 1 18:54:24 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 05:35:12PM -0700, Roland Dobbins wrote:
> What with VA Linux's financial woes, I'm worried about
> sourceforge.net/Andover in general.

If you  read the announcement  that was made this  week, the part  that says
that Sourceforge is  now a main product and focus  should hopefully reassure
you (and  OSDN is pretty much  self-sufficient in terms of  revenue), so not
much to fear here.

> A large  portion of  the Internet's  applications/utilities/OS development
> infrastructure has  grown to revolve  around these sites  - we need  to be
> thinking about what to do if the folks at VA Linux aren't able to continue
> their admirable support of these resources.

If the worst  were to happen, and a  few years down the road VA  were to run
out of cash before being profitable, I'm  pretty sure that SF could be taken
over by someone else, and of  course all the projects are on ftp[1-x].sf.net
sites which are mirrored already.

Marc
(not talking in any official capacity for VA or OSDN)