Scalable Mail solution with NAS

Simon Lyall simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jan 31 21:55:08 UTC 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, J.D. Falk wrote:
> On 01/31/01, Mike Johnson <mike.johnson at isunnetworks.com> wrote:
>
> > I am wondering if this belongs on a networks list, though...
>
> 	There's the isp-emailservers list (at isp-emailservers.com,
> 	even), but the clues are few and far between.  It'd be nice
> 	if some actual content (as opposed to "please help me I've
> 	never used the Internet before and now I'm an ISP" questions)
> 	could show up there, though.

Earthlink have a little paper here:

http://www.earthlink.com/about/papers/mailarch.html

and I half remember seeing a couple of other papers somewhere else (try
LISA archives under usenix.org).

The system we use is based on a few ideas from this paper. Once you start
splitting between multiple servers it's pretty easy to get something
that'll scale to over a million mailboxes.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin |              | Home: simon at darkmere.gen.nz
ihug, Auckland, NZ          | Asst Doorman | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz