Scalable Mail solution with NAS

Mike Johnson mike.johnson at isunnetworks.com
Wed Jan 31 04:08:42 UTC 2001

Patrick Hollowell [phollowell at vnet.net] wrote:

> My company is in the process of evaluating several mail solutions, scalable
> to 150k to 200k mailboxes.  One thing we'd like to do is run the message
> store over Gig-E on network attached storage.  Two of the vendors we've been
> looking at claim performance issues running this solution over NFS.  Does
> anyone know of a carrier-class mail solution that will run well on NAS?

Take a look at NetApp.  My company (unfortunately) signed an NDA with
NetApp, but they've posted that Yahoo uses NetApp for their e-mail:
http://www.netapp.com/partners/catalog.cgi/company/28

Rumor has it (no, I'm not violating my NDA) that Hotmail also uses NetApp.
-Plenty- of other large sites use 'em for e-mail.  Just call a NetApp
sales person and and ask for the list.  It's impressive.  I do believe
it contains some carrier-class implementations.

Mike
--
Mike Johnson
Network Engineer / iSun Networks, Inc.