[Fwd: Monitoring highly redundant operations]

Justin W. Newton justin-inet at gid.net
Mon Jan 29 19:27:52 UTC 2001

>>On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Simon Lockhart wrote:
>>

>>>   Indeed. We currently monitor each part of our operation from a monitoring
>>>   station on our network. Under certain conditions, this can give us both
>>>   false positives and false negatives:
>>>
>>Umm... Keynote?
>>(http://www.keynote.com)
>>
>>I find it truly amazing that people don't already diversely
>>monitor.  Hell, have cronned pings running off your friend's cable modem
>>if that's all you can afford, but for christ's sake, a single box colo'd
>>in someone else's cage, or a shell at shells.com or nether.net really
>>isn't that expensive.
>>

>>Fighting the war against bad networks,
>>
>>Matthew Devney
>>Teamsphere Interactive
>

>Might be interesting to define a set of basic monitoring functions
>that independent ISPs can run on each other and share results.  Early
>warnings could go to a special email.

Concillience <http://www.concillience.com> already provides this as a
third party service.  They have located agents on a variety of
networks world wide, and are able to provide both real time alerts,
as well as longer term trending information.  Their data collection
service has the ability to track things like "Network X has low
throughput to Network Y.", and similar kinds of issues.  Keynote goes
part way to a solution to this problem, but, IMHO, doesn't go far
enough.
--

Justin W. Newton
Senior Director, Networking and Telecommunications