Proactive steps to prevent DDOS?

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Mon Jan 29 17:40:36 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 11:34:10AM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:16:27 PST, Sean Capshaw <scapshaw at yahoo.com>  said:
> > of the bulk of that ICMP traffic, then change your
> > filters to discard ICMP to the host under attack while
> > in parallel notify the NOC of the source or
> > intermediary involved
>
> *attempt* to notify the NOC....

Oh, I never had problems notifying NOCs...

getting them to *do* something or call someone is the trick.

I can't remember which large ISP it was that told me that the
only way I'd be connected to their network was if I was a customer
with a customer number.  "i don't think so"

John Payne      http://www.sackheads.org/jpayne/    john at sackheads.org
http://www.sackheads.org/uce/                    Fax: +44 870 0547954
        To send me mail, use the address in the From: header