Proactive steps to prevent DDOS?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Mon Jan 29 08:14:14 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001, Jeff Ogden wrote:

> >At 4:15 PM -0800 1/26/01, Sean Donelan wrote:
> >Fine, does this work better for you?
> >
> >Help me, what proactive steps can I take to protect my network from a DDOS?
>
> There isn't a lot that can be done, but there are a few steps you can
> take to "get ready" for a DDOS attack.

[snip]

Does anyone have any nifty ideas on how we can *squash* this?
The script kiddies are only going to get more clever (or their
utilities are), and it seems that the majority of the ideas
people have for DoS/DDoS seem to be limited to trying to
treat the symptoms.

(.. which, even demonstrated yesterday by someone hosting an efnet
server, requires extremely good coordination and contacts with
the "large players" for it to be effective.)

2c,

Adrian