How common is lack of DNS server diversity?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Jan 28 02:57:00 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 07:14:31PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> And, as it happens, currently there is only one recognised DNS, with one
> set of authoritative root servers.
>
> Anyone who says otherwise is just one of those renegades who can safely
> be ignored and they *will* go away.

Well, actually, Greg, there are multiple root clusters, with multiple
sets of authoritative root servers -- but only one of those is
consecrated by DoC/ICANN.

The other ones do exist, do work, and so far as I'm aware, there are
not currently any rogue redelegations of "traditional" gTLDs, nor many,
if any, collisions of non-traditional gTLDs, amongst the various ones.

I don't let the people on DOMAIN-POLICY get away with *overstating* the
case on alternative roots, I shouldn't let you get away with
*understating* the case, neither.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink