sorry to ruin several of your evenings...

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Jan 28 02:34:22 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 07:46:23PM -0500, Adam Rothschild wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 09:47:08PM -0800, Paul A Vixie wrote:
> > ...but this one's important.
> > 	Several serious security holes plugged.
>
> Not to disrespect Mr. Vixie, or detract from the operational content
> of the original post, but I'd like to recommend another solution to
> these recently reported security holes in BIND: install djbdns
> <http://www.djbdns.org/>.

Or DENTS <http://sourceforge.net/projects/dents/>, created by the
Mindspring technical team, spearheaded by Todd Lewis, whom I think is
hearabouts.

Certainly there are many approaches to DNS, and as several people have
mentioned this month, genetic diversity in service provision, especially
DNS, and most especially Root DNS, is A Good Thing.

Thanks, though, to Paul for the heads up; I'd missed the announcement
through other channels, and I'm pretty sure at least one breakin in
my last 6 months came through a BIND hole.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink