Hidden name servers?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sat Jan 27 22:21:50 UTC 2001

[ On , January 26, 2001 at 23:28:06 (-0800), Sean Donelan wrote: ]
> Subject: Hidden name servers?
>
> How do I get name servers added to the COM TLD zone file which
> are not listed in the NSI Registry WHOIS database?

Be careful where you query.  There's not necessarily any relationship to
the times when the NSI WHOIS database is updated and the times when the
gTLD servers are updated.

The new NS records are in the right place now:

$ host -r -Z -t ns microsoft.com a.root-servers.net
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS4.CP.MSFT.NET.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS5.CP.MSFT.NET.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS7.CP.MSFT.NET.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS6.CP.MSFT.NET.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      Z1.MSFT.AKADNS.COM.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      Z2.MSFT.AKADNS.COM.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      Z6.MSFT.AKADNS.COM.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      Z7.MSFT.AKADNS.COM.

In any case it is possible to list additional NS records in your zone in
order to achive higher reliability for your DNS in the case where the
registered servers are only intermittently available....  Note that this
doesn't help for long if the registered servers are totally unreachable
for longer than the TTL on the additional un-registered NS records.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>