How common is lack of DNS server diversity?

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Sat Jan 27 20:15:21 UTC 2001

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Brian wrote:

> I have heard from numerous sources that even if you provide multiple name
> servers in windows 9x tcp/ip config, only the first is used.  Not sure how
> true it is currently.  It seems from below you are talking about
> resolvers, not authorative name servers??

Brian:
  Yes, talking about resolvers. If I remember the incident correctly, at
the time a number of other nearby providers were using NT servers and it
was those which failed to ask another authoritative name server for the
domain when a particular server was not reachable. In our case, it was
actually the second server listed for our domains.

Chuck