How common is lack of DNS server diversity?

Tony Rall trall at almaden.ibm.com
Sat Jan 27 18:54:03 UTC 2001

>MS DNS, WinNT4 and below, have broken search algorithm implementations.
>DDNS, Win2K, is currently untested.

Search algorithm?  I thought we were talking about making full use of the
dns server list - i.e., if first server doesn't respond try the next one in
the list.

Win2k, at least, has no problem doing this.

(I do not remember having any problem with the domain search list in
previous MS OSs.  That is, if I specify almaden.ibm.com and ibm.com, it
will find xyz.ibm.com if I just use the name xyz and xyz.almaden.ibm.com
does not exist.)

Tony Rall