Proactive steps to prevent DDOS?

Adam Rothschild asr at latency.net
Sat Jan 27 06:00:39 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 12:16:33AM -0500, Richard A. Steenbergen wrote:
> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/dos.txt

This is useful, and would make for an interesting NANOG presentation.

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 12:42:20AM -0500, Alex Pilosov wrote:
> Read: DDoS targets which bring no cash revenue, essentially
> loss-leaders.

You'd be surprised much much publicity (and in turn, legitimate
business) hosting an IRC server has brought various providers.  But
that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

> That doesn't quite work when ebay.com is being DDoSed [...]

Nope, nor is it really intended to.

What it will do is, help protect smaller hosts/networks targeted by
less determined DDoS kiddies -- the type who'll realize "d'oh, I can't
reach this anymore!" and move on to to their next target.  And if
nothing else, it will protect smaller people w/ 95% burstable pipes,
whose upstreams aren't willing lend a hand when they're under attack,
from having their monthly bandwidth bills skyrocket.

-adam