Monitoring highly redundant operations

mdevney at teamsphere.com mdevney at teamsphere.com
Fri Jan 26 01:06:28 UTC 2001

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> Indeed. We currently monitor each part of our operation from a monitoring
> station on our network. Under certain conditions, this can give us both
> false positives and false negatives:

Umm... Keynote?
(http://www.keynote.com)

I find it truly amazing that people don't already diversely
monitor.  Hell, have cronned pings running off your friend's cable modem
if that's all you can afford, but for christ's sake, a single box colo'd
in someone else's cage, or a shell at shells.com or nether.net really
isn't that expensive.

Fighting the war against bad networks,

Matthew Devney
Teamsphere Interactive

P.S.: It is not wise to get me started about other bad network practices
(stub network) or various other stupidities that piss me off.