MS explains

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Jan 25 20:20:34 UTC 2001

[ On Thursday, January 25, 2001 at 09:30:19 (-0500), Steven M. Bellovin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: MS explains
>
> I'd love to see a detailed description of what went wrong, and I hope
> that those in the know will be allowed to post it or present it in
> Atlanta.  But I'm willing to wager that it wasn't just (a) a single
> router configuration change, (b) brain-damage in Microsoft's DNS code,
> (c) malicious activity aimed at Microsoft, (d) RAMEN-induced
> misbehavior, or (e) any other single cause.

But there was a single root cause that made the problem possible in the
first place....  Analysis of the actual event will no doubt be
interesting to some, but for all their users out there on the Internet
all that matters is that proper deployment of their servers would have
never allowed the situation to occur in the first place.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>